Tips for More Effective Telephone MeetingsOctober 1, 2018
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Work-From-Home (WFH) policies have escalated the use of virtual meetings. Along with more meetings comes an increased effort to engage your listeners and communicate your messages differently and more effectively.
Here are some reminders to keep your audience focused on understanding and retaining your message:
- Find a quiet location; avoid interruptions; silence your phone except for meeting use
- Observe your work environment; eliminate background distractions
- Test the lighting; avoid shadows and glare on your face
- Check your audio and video quality (volume? image?)
- Dress professionally; avoid distracting clothing and jangling jewelry
- Know your audience—understand why participants want this information
- Keep your visual aids simple; animation may not work best
- Practice using the features of the meeting app, including feedback and participation tools
- Develop your timing to compensate for delays in the electronic transmissions
- Involve your listeners—look into the camera; back away from the monitor to portray looking at your full audience (scanning the screen and looking away will make you look distracted)
Most important, build relationships with your listeners so productive conversations extend beyond just the scheduled meeting.